Maize Rice is so affordable yet all we ever do with it is boil boil boil until it’s a mash.
I got tired of all that boiling.
Here’s a salad that can be enjoyed warm or cold.
I suggest you soak the start with the dressing then soak the maize and red lentils and then marinade the oranges.
1 Cup Maize Rice
2 Cups Boiling Water
10 Peppadews, chopped
1/2 Large medium onion, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tablespoons fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 cups Rape leaves off the vein, roughly chopped, washed and drained
1 cube garlic & vegetable stock
1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
3/4 Cup Red lentils
1 1/2 Cup Boiling water
8 Peppadews, chopped
2 cups fresh mixed kale, off the veins and torn into bite size pieces
1 Sweet Corn, boiled
3 Passion Fruit pulp
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Oranges in a Honey & Chilli Sauce
Segments of one orange, chopped into bite size pieces
2 Teaspoons of Honey
2 teaspoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon thick soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried chillie flakes
Salt & pepper
1. Soak the maize Rice in the 2 cups of boiling water for an hour – this actually cooks the maize Rice and you will spend less time cooking it on the stove. Soak the lentils in the 1 1/2 cup boiling water.
2. Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is soft but not browned so use low heat.
3. Drain the maize rice and add it to the onion, garlic and ginger.
4. Sauté on low heat for 10 minutes, the maize Rice should be soft.
5. Add the rape leaves, 10 Peppadews, garlic &a herb stock cube, mixed herbs and sauté for a further 10 minutes.
6. Add 125ml of tap water and cook with the lid on I until the maize has absorbed the water.
7. Place in a bowl and set aside.
8. Drain the lentils and add to the maize Rice. Combine.
9. Add the 8 chopped Peppadews, kale leaves and toss.
In a blender, add the sweet corn, Passion Fruit and extra virgin olive oil and born till smooth.
Let this cool off completely and chill in the fridge before dressing the maize salad.
1. Mix all the ingredients and put in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Fry on high heat until brown on the outside and toss with the salad.
Serve with fresh slices of avocado.