A hearty stew made from 2 key ingredients – chicken hearts and cabbage. Simple and homely.
280g white cabbage chopped
1 tablespoon oil
3 Tablespoons finely chopped onion
3 Tablespoons chopped celery
1 Tablespoon chicken spice
1 teaspoon crushed garlic
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
1 teaspoon habanero chillies
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1kg chicken hearts
1 cube chicken stock
125ml blanched, peeled tomatoes finely chopped (Blanching relaxes the tomatoes and released the juices which leads to less or no water needed when cooking)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vegetable seasoning
- On medium heat, add oil to a pan and saute the onion and celery.
- After 3 minutes, add the chicken spice, crushed garlic , curry, habanero and turmeric.
- Cook for 5 minutes then add the cabbage.
- Just as the cabbage starts to look shiny, add the hearts and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, sugar and vegetable seasoning. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes until the flavours have come together and the sauce thickened.
Serve with homemade bread or pap (South African).