250ml + 60ml Cake Wheat Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 large eggs with the yolks and whites in separate bowls
1 teaspoon vanilla essence added to the egg yolks
150ml Fermented Milk – Amasi/Maas/Inkomazi or cultured buttermilk
90ml Full Cream Milk
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon melted butter
1. Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl.
2. Add the vanilla essence to the egg yolks.
3. Add milk and butter milk in one bowl. Melt the butter and add it to the milk and butter milk and then add this milk and butter mixture to the egg gold and vanilla essence. You should now have 3 bowls – 1 for the flour, 1 of the egg yolks, milks, butter and vanilla essence, and 1 of the egg whites.
4. Whisk the egg whites until thick and cloudy.
5. Add the flour to the egg yolks mixture. Mix well.
6. Fold the egg whites into the egg flour and egg yolks mixture.
7. In a pan, on medium heat, add the butter for cooking the pancakes. Pour about half a ladle of the mixture into the pan per pancake. When the pancake starts to form bubbles and has a lot of them at the top, flip the pancake over and cook for about 1 minute.
If you are using an egg ring to shape them, spray your egg ring with spray & cook first. You still put butter in the pan before cooking. Put your egg ring in pan and pour the half ladle batter in. Once the bubbles start, you can remove the egg ring and flip the pancake, cook it until you serve.
Serve with your favourite accompaniments.